Welcome to Four Lines! I have a goal I would like to write at least four lines of poetry or a haiku every day for the rest of my life. I'm excited about this challenge! Also, along with my daily poem, I will be reading at least four lines of another author's poetry. I'll try to include that here also. So I'm thinking - how difficult can it be to read and then write one poem a day? We will see! - Claudia
All poems on this blog, unless noted, are written by Claudia Callaghan.
© 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024 Claudia Callaghan
Used only with permission. Please feel free to join Four Lines and request permission.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

He thought of me and determined
"no show" remembering her;
she stood him up several times,
and so he left.
I called him asking,
 "Can you come back?"
and he answered, "for a little while."
When he looked at my green-brown eyes,
and long brown hair he commented,
"Funny, you remind me of her."
She has brown hair and dark-brown eyes.
He listened to my opinion and said,
"I've learned through experience
that women are always analyzing."
I wonder if he ever saw me,
if he ever could see just me?

I didn't see him right away.
He left before we could find each other!
When he returned I looked
into his handsome, bright face,
reminding me of no other man.
Heartedly, I heard him until
it appeared, the republican
hue of men I've known.
He waved "no" with his arms.
"I don't want to vote for Obama.
He's one sided and uncompromising."
Obama? One sided and uncompromising?
I stopped before saying,
"and your opinion of health care reform?"
Suddenly, I saw a man
distrustful of women
with tea party tendencies.
I wonder if I ever saw him then,
and if I ever could see just him?

Driving to meet him I sang Carly Simon's
Anticipation! and thought anticipation
would be a good theme for a poem.
I drove home ... imagining
his sophisticated, comical
poem from the week before,
how it made me laugh and dream.
The deal making or deal breaking
potential kiss had no time, no wine,
no candle, no coffee, no ambiance, or gravity.
We will never feel the make or break of it.

The next day I shooed thoughts away,
sweeping them up as they fell to the floor,
falling leaves of post-it notes -
him judging me,  me judging him,
him not seeing me, me not seeing him... -
all of it amazing!
I'm learning to love what flows
seeing my part in the current.
Still, I wish I could have felt his kiss.

No comments:

Post a Comment