Welcome to Four Lines! I have a goal I would like to write at least four lines of poetry or a haiku every day for the rest of my life. I'm excited about this challenge! Also, along with my daily poem, I will be reading at least four lines of another author's poetry. I'll try to include that here also. So I'm thinking - how difficult can it be to read and then write one poem a day? We will see! - Claudia
All poems on this blog, unless noted, are written by Claudia Callaghan.
© 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024 Claudia Callaghan
Used only with permission. Please feel free to join Four Lines and request permission.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Air is not a commodity for sale,
although, knowing you,
you'll try to buy
air anyway
and sell it.

Aplomb is not a commodity for sale,
although, knowing you,
you'll try to buy
aplomb anyway too.

I love aplomb,
the law of ballet,
roots of a tree,
stability growing into
beauty, grace, creativity,
what I and many will to be.
Please don't try
to buy
aplomb.

Land is not a commodity for sale,
like you and I.
We are not for sale.
Earth lives for the living,
all of the living.
The Lenape* were right.
Is it too late
for land?
Is it too late
for water?

I believe
"...hope remains
while the company is true."*2

Don't even think about it!
Hope is not a commodity for sale!
although, knowing you,
you'll try to buy
hope anyway
and sell it.


* Lanape refers to the Lanape American Indians who, in a misunderstanding, "sold" Manhattan for trade goods and 60 guilders (about $24).  American Indians believed land is not something anyone can buy and there is a spiritual essence to the land.  They also believed that people are part of the land and that spiritual essence.  <Leni Lanape means: "Human Beings" or the "Real People" in the Unami language.[2]  -  quoted from my one of my dearest and favorite hubs on the web, Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.>
*Quoted from "Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring" 2001, Novel written by J.R.R. Tolkien & screenplay by Fran Walsh.  Galandreil, Lady of Lorien, Lady of the Wood speaks to the Fellowship of the Ring.  She says: "The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment