Welcome to Four Lines! I have a goal I would like to write at least four lines of poetry or a haiku every day for the rest of my life. I'm excited about this challenge! Also, along with my daily poem, I will be reading at least four lines of another author's poetry. I'll try to include that here also. So I'm thinking - how difficult can it be to read and then write one poem a day? We will see! - Claudia

All poems on this blog, unless noted, are written by Claudia Callaghan.
© 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Claudia Callaghan
Used only with permission. Please feel free to join Four Lines and request permission.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I always thought you had an angel
on your shoulder,
the way you drove defying death
off the road a million times.
Even in Monoco, zig-zagging down
the mountain like Princess Grace,
you refused to relinquish the wheel,
a stubborn, splendid nobleman on his steed,
as Mom and I prayed and prayed and prayed.

I always thought you had an angel
on your shoulder
after World War II you needed sewing
to piece you back together,
electric shock to burn away pictures
and then you graduated
from Michigan Law School, became
the city attorney, was appointed judge,
ran for and was re-elected.  You determined
to visit over 100 countries, topping
that by four.

I always thought you had an angel
on your shoulder
the way you'd walk into a dark, greasy alley
and come out with a friend at your side,
the way you'd shake hands with the president,
a president to a president.
It was true,
the Rotary Club and Judges Society
to name two.

I always thought you had an angel
on your shoulder.
You said I could fly to the moon
if I wanted.  You said all people 
are good, some just don't know it.  
That is what I believe.
I'm beginning to think you bequeathed
your most valuable asset to me.
An angel for my other shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment